[Harc] ARRL Suggests Taking a Creative Approach to Field Day 2020

Howard, KB6NN kb6nn at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 23 02:16:29 CDT 2020

That makes total sense Anthony.  I remember that discussion now.  I wonder if the club could be granted a special event call of its own - it could, but probably not a solution, because it would expire after the event.

Then there is the problem with license class.  And as far as that goes, my position on the use of an Extra class call sign in order to allow everyone to use the Extra portions of the bands - the band segment limitations are based on the privileges of the class of license of the control operator at the transmitter, not of the call sign being loaned for the event.

It's like for the GOTA station, you can't [and be legal] give a non-ham the go ahead to "use the radio in that tent over there and use [an extra's call sign, the club's call sign, a call sign loaned to the club, etc.]  so they can get on [HF]", unless you are Licensed for where he or she is going to be operating, and, also, that you are looking over their shoulder while they are operating the radio.

A ham can lend his or her call sign to a club for an event, but cannot lend his or her license privileges along with it.  Privileges go with the license only when applied to the licensee.  I don't have a chapter and verse to quote, but the terms "direct supervision" "control operator" and "local control" come to mind.

Ok, an hour and a half ago I decided to look it up, and it is here:
Part 97.105 (b): "A station may only be operated in the manner and to the extent permitted by the privileges authorized for the class of operator license held by the control operator."

So what's a control operator?: 97.1 (13) "Control operator. An amateur operator designated by the licensee of a station to be responsible for the transmissions from that station to assure compliance with the FCC Rules." also read: (31) Local control. The use of a control operator who directly manipulates the operating adjustments in the station to achieve compliance with the FCC Rules."

fact check here: http://www.arrl.org/part-97-text

--
[not] Sent from my U.S.Cellulose Smartphone