[Harc] Antenna Elmer needed

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Sat Apr 25 12:51:39 CDT 2020

Hi Richard,

First off, BRAVO for doing your own builds om!  Lots of fun and fairly
easy to build a decent antenna, especially for VHF and UHF since they
are so small!

So you are using a dipole.  You could be doing MUCH better if you built
a vertical and it is still very easy.  But, you are using a dipole to
achieve 0db gain (power in roughly equals power out minus the losses of
coax and connectors.)

The simple formula is 468/Freq in Megahertz.  So our number is
468/146  which gives us 3.2 feet, or roughly 39 inches.

So, I would cut two wires, (or other element material) about 20 inches,
take a SWR measurement then begin trimming equal lengths from each side
until you reach your happy minimum SWR which should be very close to 1:1.5.

this type of antenna is very much like to common 1/4~ magnetic verticals
we use on our cars.  Obviously, the 1/4~ vertical uses the roof as the
other half of the element.

I don't think I would accept the sellers theroy that your antenna is out
of tune, a 1 1/2 SWR is will under 2 and our rigs should happily deal
with that swr.

So you are on the right track if I read your post correctly.

Now, consider building a 3/4~ vertical so you will have some GAIN!  You
simply cut the radiator to 3/4~ length and four 1/4~ ground radials.

Keep up the good work OM!

73

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken