[Harc] Mobile (and antenna) ideas

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Mon Jul 6 01:20:55 CDT 2020

Hi Cliff,

Good questions.  First, why limit your antenna gain to an x50?  Do you
want to make sure your signal is marginal?

I'm on a very small lot, but I maximized my VHF/UHF signal by using a
very high gain vertical.  My point is, DON'T be afraid of gain!  It's a
little more money going in, but my god, the pay off is 10-20 years of
really great signals.  My antenna is a Diamond X510NJ.

We recently shared in a money pool to help one of our Net Control
stations get a better antenna up.  This stations signals were night and
day.  The new antenna is a moderate gain antenna <Diamond ZDM-X300A>.
Again, it was NIGHT and day difference from his old antenna to the new
antenna.

LMR400 is a good choice, however, a good RG213 or RG214 will also do
well for you (30' is a very short run of coax and signal losses will be
minimal.)  https://www.dxengineering.com can probably supply any length
of coax with factory connectors for you.

I use solar here.  I went through 3 power supplies the first year I was
on HF.  This made me angry, so I switched to an automotive battery, then
to larger deep cycle type batteries.  My entire radio shack is powered
by the sun today.  This is why my station and my UHF repeater were on
the air during all the blackouts.  But this is probably more than most
hams are willing to invest in.  So, I think a good LINEAR power supply
would serve you well.  If you buy a 30 amp supply, it will power both
your VHF/UHF rig plus an HF rig.  My advice here is to avoid the
cheaper/smaller switching power supplies.

I think your Kenwood suggestion is good.  I think that radio will serve
you well.

Good work asking all these questions Cliff.  Advice, once simmered, can
yield a fine cup of ham chocolate!

73

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken