[Harc] Some ham-spiritual thoughts

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Wed Jun 3 00:28:47 CDT 2020

Greetings all,

Been a hell of a month here in Humboldt.  Tonight I was busy conducting
an HF RELAY for a very worthy buddy of mine on the Sonoma/Mendo phone
net who has to pull an all-nighter for AT&T, while also preparing for
the ORCA HF digital net, when I heard something on the scanner--oh, the
OTA HARC meeting was underway.  Wow, talk about multitasking!

By the way. OTA is "Over The Air."

First, I want to thank those hams that were willing to buy the gear from
my friend Jim Gaynor's estate.  His bride, Eli, wanted me to take the
gear and donate any money to HARC.  Eli now lives in Oregon, in an
assisted living home.  I hope she is comfortable there, but I do miss
her.  The onus was on me to find hams that would not only buy Jim's
gear, but also USE that gear!  Jim was a huge fan of hamming and had a
pretty damned impressive station.  Today, I delivered a high gain
antenna, mount, and some feedline to one of our newest hams.  He already
impresses me with his electronic flare.  We have some great hams shining
in our ranks folks!  Now it comforts me knowing that a small part of Jim
will remain "hamming it up".  Thank you all for that.

It was amazing when I clicked into our HARC email folder on my email
client.  There were nearly 70 posts that had eluded my attention.

Most were folks responding to Jason's offer of lanyards!  Jason, you are
TOO COOL!  You really made some major life long friends and then gave
them something special on top of it.  You are amazing partner!  Keep up
the good work.  I know you're too busy to think with the new one on the
way, and moving to a new home.  I can't even imagine how you can do all
that.   Three cheers for Jason ka6f!

There there were the field day posts.  It is so fun to see you guys
stepping up to the plate during this crisis.  YES, we will have a Field
Day this year.  Unlike any other year in HARC's history, it will be a
"Multi Solo" Field Day event.  The event planning is still underway, and
there will be more details to follow.

Back the the honor of our fallen SK's.  I quietly put the word out that
after all these years of hamming barefoot, I found myself needing the
help of a high power HF amplifier.  You guys responded so rapidly.  I
had to decline the refrigerator sized 10KW amp, my shack just doesn't
have the room for that!  But what did happen is that a local ham gave me
an old kilowatt matchbox that needed a little repair.  Another ham
stepped up to repair that matchbox.  Then I remembered one of our recent
fallen hams--called his friend who is selling his gear and ended up with
an old HF amp.  It's not just an amp.  It's my friends amp and it's now
back on the air.  So this cheer is for Jim kw6jim--thank you Jim, a
little bit of you is still hamming.  Thank you all for the help.

Finally an attaboy to all our HARC members.  You showed up tonight on
the air and we had a very productive meeting--Even though Ben wouldn't
acknowledge my Field Day plan of "we're going streaking on the quad".  I
will strive to work on Ben's humor bone.

73 all,   Thank you for your tenacity and radioactivity

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken