[Harc] Updates and learning opportunities

Anthony Wiese anthonywiese at yahoo.com
Sat Mar 14 09:04:30 CDT 2020

Hello All,
First of all, I wanted to Thank Jaye, for teaching this months workshop on sending digital modes through the International Space Station.  He did it on the air, our first on air class during this pandemic, and he did a great job.  Thank you very much, Jaye.

 Here a couple of updates.
Last week, the Coast Guard let me know that the 3 dates that were slated as potential tour dates weren't optimal.  They would be in the final stages of their annual inspections.  Instead of reschedule, I took the opportunity to let them know we would like to push the tour out at least 6 weeks to see how the COVID-19 situation panned out.  They said it was a good idea and were looking forward to hearing from us.  So, short story long, our Air Station tour is on hold.
Also last week, David, KN6CEH, and I had a chat about ways to have our next HARC meeting use a combination of virtual and amateur radio.  We're trying to keep things simple yet want to use this opportunity to try new ways to convey visual information.  We're three weeks out. Nothing has been decided either way so as of now, please keep the normal meeting time slot open. Stay tuned on how we'll end up spending that time together.
We're living in unprecedented times.  There's a good chance that you'll be spending more time at home than usual, especially with the wonderful burst of moisture we're getting.  This is really good opportunity to start taking some online training to get you on your way to getting your Disaster Service Worker Volunteer Card.  That card opens a lot of doors if and when we're called upon.  Three classes that you can take, right away, FOR FREE, are ICS 100(2hrs), 200(4hrs) & 700(3.5hrs).I have 3 juicy prizes for the first people that complete a course and send me a snap shot of their certificate to KG6LHW at arrl.net.  To be clear, one prize for the first person of each course.

The courses can be found at

FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-100.C: Introduction to the Incident Command System, ICS 100

|  |
FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-100.C: Introduct...

FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Independent Study Course overview: IS-100.C: Introduction to the Incid...

FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-200.C: Basic Incident Command System for Initial Responsev

|  |
FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-200.C: Basic Inc...

FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Independent Study Course overview: IS-200.C: Basic Incident Command Sy...

FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-700.B: An Introduction to the National Incident Management System

|  |
FEMA - Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Course | IS-700.B: An Introd...

FEMA Emergency Management Institute (EMI) Independent Study Course overview: IS-700.B: An Introduction to the Na...

Vest, ID Cards and Steps are moving ahead slowly but surely.  Power Gate Charge controller has arrived at my house!

Take care of yourselves.  This too shall pass, AnthonyKG6LHW