[Harc] Practice digital modes tonight

Jason Durant jdurant37 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 12:16:07 CDT 2020

In an effort to expand digital capabilities using HAM radio, I will be
transmitting a couple of digital messages tonight at 20:00L on the HARC
repeater. The goal is to...

1. Send an exportable CSV file (the updated roster from last Wednesday's
net) using digital mode 8PSK500F via the flmsg/fldigi interface
2. discuss how to view/modify CSV files
3. Transmit a message using an undisclosed mode via fldigi to test the RxId
function
4. Hopefully receive a transmission from another HAM via both of these means
5. Jump on the FWR once we are done and transmit a single CSV file via flmsg

To participate, you will need fldigi, flamp, and flmsg installed (open
source free programs). You will also need to be able to connect the output
of your transceiver to the mic port on your pc or use the onboard mic on
your PC with your transceiver speaker close to your computer mic. The setup
is described below.

fldigi/amp/msg download
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/
[image: image.png]

Click the folders and download and install the *setup.exe setup files for
each program

Open fldigi and enter your information in the configure->configure dialog
[image: image.png]
Make sure fldigi is using the correct soundcard for your input
(soundcard->devices)
[image: image.png]
autostart flamp with fldigi (misc->autostart)
[image: image.png]
set-up the flmsg fldigi interface (misc->NBMES interface)
[image: image.png]
ensure your RSID feature is on for all digital modes (IDs->RsID->receive
modes) click all on after clicking receive modes
[image: image.png]
Close the configuration dialog
Make sure RxID is enabled in the main window (upper right)
[image: image.png]
Make sure AFC is turned off in the lower right of the main window
[image: image.png]
close and restart fldigi. flamp should open automatically now.
Open flmsg and make sure to turn on the expert interface.
[image: image.png]
You can test your setup by looking at your fldigi program with the mic on.
You should see a "waterfall" in the black area of fldigi at the bottom if
you are using your mic. You can also turn off squelch (SQL) in the lower
right of fldigi to open the squelch. At this point, you should receive a
bunch of gibberish in the upper yellow screen as the program try's to
decipher noise.

If you want help, do not hesitate to contact me via my cell or e-mail.

73,
Jason

--
Jason Durant, MS DABR
Medical Physicist and Radiation Safety Officer