[Harc] Emcomm Meeting TONIGHT

Peter pesko at suddenlink.net
Thu Mar 18 13:24:47 CDT 2021

We’ll meet on the Far West Repeaters at 7:00 PM.  The main topic I have is “message forms and protocol for voice comms.”

After our last voice drill, W6KOZ sent me comments that I thought we might consider, including the following:
“This is my "form / note sheet" for handling VOICE traffic. YES it is basically the old ARRL form.  But, this form was developed to handle CW and PHONE traffic.
The  more modern (current) forms are basically for digital use. They have no check system to make sure the message, as copied, is the same as it was "sent".
The  more modern (current) forms themselves define their priority, ex. GENERAL MESSAGE FORM (ICS 213).

The inclusion of the punctuation is inherent in digital communication, and its omission in the VOICE mode could cause confusion and miss-interpretation.

Much of our local comm will be by voice when commercial communication is lost. It will may be an individual operator using basic equipment on limited emergency / battery power.
Example his HT.  As we have experienced, repeater battery longevity is limited, so simplex may be our only way.  That may require one or more relays from many of the rural areas. The basic premise is
Copy the message EXACTLY as sent, and pass the message EXACTLY as copied.
A simple "form" that helps to do that could be very handy.”

There is no reason we can’t develop our own forms to aid in-County comms, as long as we also know how to use forms that our served agencies use.  With that in mind, here’s

Michael-Peter Esko
W6IES