[Harc] muni

Howard, KB6NN kb6nn at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 13 18:04:42 CST 2023

For a while now, I have noticed prolonged squelch tails on the Muni repeater from time to time and a distorted noise during that time.  I remember someone had suggested that a member may have had an open mic.  It didn't sound like that to me (although could have existed along with the other noise source, no way to tell).  Remembering there had been some de-sensing going on with the FWRA Humboldt Hill repeater on 146.700 due to various transmitters at that location, I speculated that the Muni repeater might be suffering from the same, because of proximity to the public safety radio located close by.  I have changed my mind on that, after receiving a newsletter from Access Humboldt, wherein they state, that they have moved their KZZH-FM transmitter from where it was at the north end of town to the Muni:

"KZZH completed its long-awaited transmitter move into the Eureka Municipal auditorium on Friday, December 2nd. The major task was accomplished with crucial help from Leon and Seth from 101 Netlink, the City of Eureka and Brian Doyle from Eureka City Schools. We couldn't have done it without hands on help from Access Humboldt staff member Clay McLaughlin! KKZZH will be broadcasting from a stable home for many years to come!"

Somewhere, I saw posted a picture of the antenna installation.  It would appear to be located at the other end of the building, on the structure where the HARC antennas used to be.  So maybe it's not that close to our repeater.

Anyone have any ideas about the above?

Howard
KB6NN