[Harc] Ham Balloons

Michael-Peter Esko pesko at suddenlink.net
Thu Jul 20 17:14:55 CDT 2023

Last month a ham radio balloon from Japan drifted over Humboldt County.  I saw it on the Google APRS map and tracked it for two weeks as it crossed the Atlantic, then Europe.  It stopped transmitting over northeast Siberia.  I’ve done some reading since, and I thought I’d share some of it here.

A balloon tracking site is https://amateur.sondehub.org/#!mt=Mapnik&mz=5&qm=12h&mc=53.47497,-2.19727.

A Powerpoint overview of amateur balloons is at https://vepimg.b8cdn.com/uploads/vjfnew/1073/content/images/1596949203send-an-amateur-radio-balloon-around-the-world-bill-brown-wb8elk-pdf1596949203.pdf.

This site discusses release mechanisms for the radio payload https://sites.google.com/site/ki4mcw/Home/cutdown-mechanisms.

73
Peter

Michael-Peter Esko