[Harc] Mobile (and antenna) ideas

Cliff VanCott vancottcj at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 29 21:40:16 CDT 2020

 Yeah... the whole antenna thing is another issue I will be addressing soon.  Now I rely on my dual band mag-mount (Comet brand?) which is a noticeable improvement over the rubber ducky... but still is a big limiting factor.  My initial drive was to communicate while on my feet in a disaster (active in CERT and SCOP) which is why I went to the HT as my first.  I know most recommend a good mobile first... but that's just the way I did it.
I will eventually ammo-can/lunch-box my mobile, so am looking forward to the antenna presentation on the 16th for some insight into the portable one he builds/sells.  I can cut wires and solder... but see no reason to reinvent the wheel if someone can do it for me RIGHT the first time. His antennas are well thought of, and I'll probably get one of the portables for the ammo-can set-up... but also want the best I can do as a permanent antenna setup here at the house.  Couple some good permanent antenna with a nice power supply (or maybe bioenno on charger, to carry out the door in ammo-can mode) for my home shack, but still be grab and go ready if the need arises.
Tell me more about your dipole when you get some time... I hear that term a lot, and must admit I have a visual, but am unclear on the concept.  SO many things to learn!
No covenants here... but do want to stay away from the antenna farm look!  Subtle but effective will prevail.  Two story house with a nice south facing roof should provide me with many effective options.
I know next to nothing re antennas (except to 'get the best you can afford' seems to by the main mantra!) but intend to research that more once I get the issue of which mobile worked out first.
Lot's of bla-bla-bla there... but once I get going it's hard to stop!  NOW I hear dinner calling! Bye.. Cliff  KN6CEJ