[Harc] Digital modes in Humboldt on VHF

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Mon Mar 23 13:06:22 CDT 2020

Hey Jason,

So is THIS your new call sign?  :)   > KA6F
Congrats again for the good work there partner.

You ask a big question here.  For many many years, the most popular
digital mode was CW.  I'm going to assume you mean "computer digital modes."

I know that Don wa6nbg uses MT63-2000L or (aka MT63-2k.)  We use FLdigi
program that is freely available and uses the NBEMS tools FLmsg and
FLamp.  Works on all operating systems.  That net is tonight at 6:55PM
on 146.460MHz if you want to listen in.  Typically, you cam do this
using nothing more than a laptop listening on it's built in microphone
sitting near your 2 meter radio--literally no electronic interface is
needed at all!  For weak signal, you will need to have some type of
radio to computer interface.

If you have a short wave receiver or HF rig already, you can hear my net
at 6:45pm on 3.581MHz USB and I use MFSK32 and often use faster mode
when I transmit the weekly message, so make sure you activate the RXID
on FLdigi so it will automatically change modes.

As you dig around, you will also find some interesting weak signal
modes, used for moon bounce, meteor scatter etc.  Check out WSJTX program.

Hope this answers some of your question.

73 om

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken