[Harc] FW: RESEND - Ham Radio Technician License Class Begins March 8, 2021

Frank Bacik fbacikfb at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 17:37:12 CST 2021

Here are some suggested answers  to Qs # 3 from the perspective of a 68 yr
old lawyer licensed as a HAM technitan for just over a year.  The
journalist should feel free to pick and choose, quote as if interviewed,
etc.

 My first interest in radio began over 50 years ago as a kid with walkie
talkies and CB radios. AMATEUR radio is a great hobby and HAMs are always
welcoming and encouraging.

Frank Bacik.
KN6FGU

#3.  Once possessed of the info and context required to complete the 10
week technician class and pass the FCC licensing exam, setting up a first
working amateur radio station is not particularly difficult.

The difficulty is directly proportional to the complexity and
sophistication (and expense) of the equipment one first chooses, but so too
is the range of operational alternatives and options,  as well as fun and
satisfaction.

A simple, fully functioning handheld radio (handi-talkie or HT) that
operates on almost all the frequencies open to technical class licensees,
can be purchased new for as little as $60, including a rechargeable
battery, charger and integral antenna.

Entry level HT Output power might be limited to approximately 4 to 8 watts,
with a realistic effective point to point range of 5 to 10 miles, depending
on terrain.

HOWEVER, that same entry level HT radio should be capable of connecting to
several local area hilltop "repeaters," linked throughout the Northcoast
region.  These repeaters can re-transmit at power output levels as high as
1,500 watts

When properly configured, a simple HT can connect through "repeaters" to
re-transmit your signal at much higher output power in all directions.
Effective repeater-assisted range can be 100s of miles with  the same low
power HT.

More sofisticated, permanently installed mobile and base stations are not
only more costly and capable --  with power outputs of 50 to 100 watts --
but more complex, because separate, additional  equipment and operational
features must be selected, installed, and configured to be compatible with
the operators needs and interests.

 Fixed or vehicle mounted antenna systems, more robust power supplies,
computer integration and accessories like microphones, headsets and test
equipment all add cost and complexity to the fixed base station or
installed mobile station.

HAMs almost always 'start simple' and grow into the hobby as they learn
more and choose to put what they have learned into practice.

In many ways, HAM radio is like the hobby/ avocation  of fishing.  There's
almost always an experienced operator around (in HAMspeak "Elmers") to
offer advice and constructive suggestions or to help work out problems with
equipment or configuration.

With the right resources and some support by an Elmer, there's no reason
why teens, clubs and classròms can't participate in the "art and science"
of Ham Radio.