[Harc] Emcomm Meeting TONIGHT

Peter pesko at suddenlink.net
Thu Mar 18 13:40:25 CDT 2021

We’ll meet at 7:00 PM on Far West Repeaters. Sorry for the late notice.

Following our last voice drill, W6KOZ sent me the following comments:

“This is my "form / note sheet" for handling VOICE traffic. YES it is basically the old ARRL form.  But, this form was developed to handle CW and PHONE traffic.
The  more modern (current) forms are basically for digital use. They have no check system to make sure the message, as copied, is the same as it was "sent".
The  more modern (current) forms themselves define their priority, ex. GENERAL MESSAGE FORM (ICS 213).

The inclusion of the punctuation is inherent in digital communication, and its omission in the VOICE mode could cause confusion and miss-interpretation.

Much of our local comm will be by voice when commercial communication is lost. It will may be an individual operator using basic equipment on limited emergency / battery power.
Example his HT.  As we have experienced, repeater battery longevity is limited, so simplex may be our only way.  That may require one or more relays from many of the rural areas. The basic premise is
Copy the message EXACTLY as sent, and pass the message EXACTLY as copied.
A simple "form" that helps to do that could be very handy.”

There’s no reason we can’t develop our own forms, as long they are similar enough to ICS forms that our served agencies and others can understand them.  For your consideration I’m attaching W6KOZ’s form and the ICS General Message form (two versions).  We can talk about message forms and voice protocol tonight.

Peter

Michael-Peter Esko
W6IES