[Harc] LHW recovering and APRS

Anthony Wiese anthonywiese at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 7 17:20:39 CDT 2022

Hello All,
  Thank you to those who have checked in on me.  I'm doing much better.  I guess I should start with what happened if hadn't heard.  I walked into a sliding plate glass door.  I cut up my leg real bad and had to self tourniquet.  12 hospital days and 4 surgeries later I'm on the mend.  I'm in Los Angeles recouping at my family's home.  I hope to be home in two weeks.  In the mean time I've been tinkering with a mini APRS tracker.  It's called a PICO and I got it for about $180 from DX engineering.  It's the size of a matchbox.  1 watt out, very cable unit but can be dumbed down to save battery and ease of use.  I had it strapped to my crutch but have graduated to a cane so that's where it is now.    You can follow my twice daily walks by searching “KG6LHW-11” at aprs.fi.  And yes, the icon is a bed which I thought was very appropriate.
With 1w, good antenna and a tiger tail I’ve hitting digis 25 miles away!
  Okay, enough for now.  Hope to see you soon.  Enjoy the meeting and the swap-meet.
73,
Anthony