[Harc] Tonight's WDN Newcomer's Net needs Elmers

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Thu Aug 5 19:08:52 CDT 2021

This is HOT OFF THE PRESS.  I hope some of our ops give this a whirl!
73

Tonight we will be trying out the Newcomer's Net in the hopes that we
can get some stations to move beyond QNX check-ins.

Here's what the prologue will look like:

---------------------
Welcome to the Newcomer's Net – A special addition of the Western
Digital Net that's focused on getting newer ops comfortable with passing
traffic using FLDigi, FLMsg and FLAmp. The Newcomer's Net happens on the
first Thursday of every month and can help newer ops with the following
support:

-- Setting up FLDigi for the WDN

-- Net etiquette, how to check-in, break, etc.

-- How to use FLAmp for QSTs and QTCs

-- Which modes are best for various condx

-- Setting up Macros and Video ID

-- General Questions & Support

For this net we ask that only newer ops with little or no active
experience on the WDN or ORCA check in as active – all veteran ops are
welcomed to check-in to relay or with the intention to possibly move up
or down with a newer op to give them more in-depth assistance. Veteral
ops please hold your QTCs and QSTs for normal WDN Nets unless they are
priority or emergency messages.

This is a directed net, so all communications should go through Net
Control.

To check in, please send us the following:

URCall URName and indicate in a few (3-7) words whether you need help
getting set up or are here for one of the above topics.

All stations please wait for Net Control to acknowledge that station
before you check in or break in.

Once NCS has a roster of check-ins, the following rounds will begin:

WELCOME ROUND

NCS will call each station on the roster to find out a little about the
new op and what help they may need. The help requested will be added to
the Net Agenda, which will guide the next round

ASSISTANCE ROUND

NCS will call each station on the Roster in order and provide any
assistance requested by that new station. NCS will briefly work back and
forth with the newcomer station and may call on other veteran stations
to move up or down with them for follow-up support.

COMMENTS ROUND

Once the newer ops have been assisted to the best of our ability, NCS
will begin calling stations on the Roster for comments. This is a good
time to ask follow-up questions or to mention additional information
that may be helpful to newer ops.

So please check in now with the following:

URCall URName (3-7 words about help you need)

All stations please wait for Net Control to acknowledge that station
before you check in or break in.
--------------

*So the veteran ops may be asked to move up/down with a newbie* to help
them set up their macros, Video ID, etc. This will only happen if the
all-eyes instructions and assistance isn't enough - or if the newcomer
is particularly slow to understand the instructions. In that case I
don't want to torture the whole net with holding one op's hand beyond
the basics.

If I call on you, please have a frequency in mind and just give the op
support to get up and running... if you're in the mood to Elmer that is!

Thanks ahead!
Steve K6ETA