[Harc] Equipment suggestions for Ferndale CERT

jdnut at aol.com jdnut at aol.com
Wed Jun 29 11:46:56 CDT 2022

Richard, HARC members,Thank you all for your replies, both to the list and those that sent information just to me.  I really appreciate you thoughts and ideas to support my relatively new hobby and the Ferndale CERT program.
To those that mentioned keeping it simple, I need to keep a focus on that.  When the first Ferndale CERT group was doing its training, only one person had experience with two-way radios (Cal Fire).  We now have another HAM besides me, Paul, KN6SAL, and another member with previous law enforcement experience.  We have several people with GMRS licenses now besides me (WRPS241).
I did visit the HARC trailer on Saturday afternoon of the Field Day.  Very nice,  that tall antenna is impressive, and as I was told, quite a bit of work to put up.  While our trailer is for more than radio communications, I did get a number of ideas from the HARC trailers that I hope our group will consider.  Thanks to those at the Field Day that let me roam around and ask questions.
As far as overall needs and budget, that is to be determined in part by experimentation and buy in from the group and the city.  My current thinking is to work on a "hobby" system for me, that can reliably get across the river from in simplex.  It needs to be portable, but probably not mobile.  My initial thinking is to have a basic system I can learn and play with at my house in Ferndale proper and at my barn over by the Fairgrounds.  But portable enough to move for training and emergency use.  If the interest is there, then there can be an investment in a tall antenna and a base station that stay with the CERT trailer.
Thanks also for the suggestion of the Kenwood TM V-71 radio.  I enjoyed learning about this radio, and it solved one issue from that call with the vendor for my first HT radio I mentioned.  After I explained my situation with CERT, etc., he talked about being able to use the base station as an "auxiliary" radio (that may have been my word), ... but I never quite understood until I figured out he was probably talking about the Cross Band Repeater function, that the TM-71 has, and works in compliance with FCC regs with ID.  The price is a little more than the Yaesu FTM-6000 and similar radios I had been looking at, but I will definitely consider the Kenwood.  Again, I don't want to start any flame wars, I respect all suggestions and information.
I also appreciated the introduction to the Ed Fong antennas.  A real treat to read about them.
Take care, 73
John (Max) Maxwell KN6RKM