[Harc] HARC Bylaws

Howard, KB6NN kb6nn at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 7 17:16:19 CST 2023

The oldest copy of our bylaws that I could find is dated October 1, 2002.  That's the same as the one that's on the HARC website now.  I went to Archive.org, the way-back machine, and could not find any bylaws with an earlier date than 10-01-02.  Most likely, not on the website before that.  If I recall correctly, the need for bylaws (in as much legalese as this one has), was due to the need for bylaws to send when applying for a non-profit status.  That would be so that donors could be assured they are donating to a nonprofit organization for tax purposes.  Before then, I probably had a print copy of whatever we were using for bylaws when I joined back in 1977.  But there are way too many boxes of old files now to look through them for that paper copy, if it exists.

As I understand it, to continue to have our nonprofit status remain intact, we need to have documents that, if called on, would provide a written record of our operation as a noon-profit, including bylaws, minutes of board meetings, elections, etc.

Some of the quorum requirements for voting come from corporate nonprofit rules.  So, unless we want to have our non profit status fall into disrepair, we should operate within the bylaws that were set up when we incorporated (presumably 10-01-02).

Not being a lawyer, I don't know for sure, but I believe any change to the existing bylaws would require we submit them and re-apply for the nonprofit status.  If we don't mind losing the nonprofit status, we can drop the bylaws all together, and run meetings and votes however we want, as long as the membership agrees.  Even doing that, I would think, would need a vote of whatever the current bylaws says is a quorum for such a vote, not what we would like for a quorum to be, if and until we change the quorum percentages.

Thank you for reading,
Howard, KB6NN

--
Visit my website: humsites.com/kb6nn