[Harc] Digital operations 101-- Monday March 8 @ 8pm

MJ Inabnit ke6sls at arrl.net
Tue Mar 2 14:20:02 CST 2021

We (the new NBEMS group) are going to conduct some basic training and
setup for using FLdigi suite.  We will cover basics on VHF/UHF/HF
digital use, including simple interface and more complex interface
equipment.  I'll also cover using FLdigi without a radio--all you need
is FLdigi and a connection to the net.  The SDR method enables hams
access to HF digital so they can participate and learn.

HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT 1: HF equipped hams, learn "how to activate or
enable your ALC meter."  Consult your manuals.  Often, the easiest way
is download a PDF version of your manual and use the SEARCH feature
(CRTL F) and type in "ALC" and click search.

HOMEWORK ASSIGNMENT 2: download and install "FLdigi" "FLmsg" and
"FLamp".  HF hams can also download and install "FLrig" (not required
but often useful.)  All software for all operating systems is found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/fldigi/files/

We will meet up on the HARC repeater (145.470) at 8pm following our
normal Monday Emergency nets.  I'll send out a guide here via Email.

Write down any questions you have.  There are no bone-headed questions.
 Our objective is to get everyone "up and running" safely.  There is a
LOT of digital activity on our bands and this will help you get up to
speed with all other aspects of digital radio.

Thanks and 73!

--

wishing you well
Jaye, ke6sls--via the toshiba w/thunderchicken