[Harc] Equipment suggestions for Ferndale CERT

jdnut at aol.com jdnut at aol.com
Mon Jun 27 11:09:39 CDT 2022

HARC members,This is John Maxwell, KN6RKM, Extra,VE.  I am part of the Ferndale CERT team.  We are in the process of outfitting our new trailer.
I am seeking ideas and recommendations on a minimal initial setup, and something that we might work for in the future.  I have an approximate 29 inch dual band antenna for automobiles that seems to work equally well with my HT on either my pickup or on an old camera tripod.   If there are any recommendations for a longer antenna to mount on the trailer, that would be appreciated.
When I was buying my first radio about a year ago, one person I was talking with mentioned that given my location and the CERT needs, he recommended also getting a small base station radio of 20 to 50 Watts, and was talking fast, but as I recall said something to the effect that with a wire dipole and that radio, we would be nicely set up for an emergency situation.  I am planning on a pretty robust battery system with a sine wave inverter.  Currently, it is a generator back up, but solar panels are in the future.   Radio, antenna suggestions all welcome.
So, any suggestions appreciated, and I don't want to start any flame wars, but all responses are greatly appreciated.
John Maxwell, KN6RKMFerndale CA