[Harc] Thank You Tunes

Andrius D. Ilgūnas andrius at ilgunas.net
Sat Mar 23 10:54:40 CDT 2024

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH to all who have responded to my question about an
antenna!

My brain bucket overfloweth.

I think that this is what I've learned far:

1. There are resonant, and non-resonant antennas. Generally, resonant ones
are tuned to work on one frequency, whereas non-resonant ones aren't tuned,
and thus require a tuner.  Generally.

2.  Perhaps the most recommended was an inverted V or a random/long wire
antenna. The inverted V is a kind of dipole, but because it's a V, it
becomes more omnidirectional.

2.a  A "random wire" and a "long wire" is the same thing.

3. End-fed needs a tuner and although easier to set up, are deaf on several
bands.

4. The higher, the better; at least 35' above the ground.

5. Antenna traps are old-school, and were a way to make antennas appear
shorter electrically on higher frequencies.  These days, multi-band
antennas use magic dust instead of traps.

6. Ladder-line can be used instead of a coax cable between the transceiver
and antenna. Because it's balanced, where a coax is not, it can handle
higher SWR and doesn't heat up a much.

7. Tuner don't actually tune an antenna. Rather, they match the impedance
on the cable to reduce the SWR and get more of the energy into/out of the
antenna.

*I understand that none of these are RULES, but rather, they are
generalities, aka "rules of thumb" and exceptions and caveats can be found
for each. *

*However, is my understanding correct? <=========*

If I'm right about all of the points above, then my gray matter guides me
to thinking that I want a non-resonant antenna with a tuner.  Probably an
inverted V or a doublet, as Jaye recommended.

*What should I look for in a tuner? <========*

Or *should I finalize on an antenna type/configuration first and then go
looking for an "appropriate" tuner?  <========*

And before I forget, how much effort have you put into lighting
"protection"? I get that nothing would protect from a direct strike, and
don't operate equipment when I hear thunder.  And I also understand that
those "lightning arrestors" on Amazon aren't much more than surge
protectors. Some folks just put in a grounding rod (*don't daisy-chain
chassises!*), while others go all-out with installing radials to grounding
rods and have large plates to encourage lighting to go elsewhere, etc.

*Given that we get about 3-5 strikes each winter around here, how much
effort have YOU put in protecting your base station from strikes?

Finally, I am amazed at all the excellent advice I've been generously given
from you all!  It's as if I tripped into Elmer City here!! Thank you!!!

I PROMISE THAT I'LL GET LESS NEEDY OVER TIME!!

--
Andrius
*To know recursion, you must first know recursion.*